Send an email to your Rep
California state representatives have the opportunity to repeal this law. Contact your representative to let them know your position. Challenge our lawmakers to do the right thing by repealing AB5 NOW!
Boost the message
Many people across California are not even aware of this law, nor the ways in which this law will have an impact on their livleihoods, their opportunities in the community, and loss of income of thousands of Independent Contractors. Help spread awareness of this law.
Find a Local Action Group
Legislators in favor of this law seem to believe that they understand the needs and opportunites of Independent Contractors. Join a local action group to show politicians that Californians demand responsible legislation.
Message Your Representative
Find Your Representative
CLICK HERE to find out who is your state representative.
Who authored and co-authored AB5?
Name + Twitter Handle
|Lorena Gonzalez-Fletcher (Author)||@LorenaSGonzalez|
What should I say to my representatives?
- Share your story. How has this law impacted your business or opportunities to generate income?
- Ask your representative to be a co-author on AB1928, a bill being proposed to REPEAL AB5.
boost the message on social
Join these groups on social to stay up-to-date.
What can I do on social media?
- Take a selfie with a sign with your job title(s) and #RepealAB5Now. Post it to social. Don’t forget to use the hashtag in your post caption.
- Create a meme with your own call to action or a simple message about what is hurting you most. Tag your area representative in your post caption on Twitter and Facebook. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #RepealAB5Now in your post caption.
- Share screenshots of your rejection/termination letters/emails/texts. Remove or block out any identifying information about the company from which the notice came to protect the company from being targeted for audit. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #RepealAB5Now in your post caption.
- Do be considerate of friends/family, if you tell their stories online. Sharing specific information could be problematic to them. Share what industry they serve, what type of products/services they offer, whether they are impacted as a contracting business owner or product/service provider (Independent Contractor). Be specific when you can, but be smart about how much detail you share.
Hashtags to use:
Twitter accounts to follow & tag:
@Ab5Of | Faces of AB5 (#PROAct)
@RepealAB5 | This group’s Twitter
Participate in the Awareness Challenge
(This was posted with permission from OP on Freelancers Against AB5)
Text or FB Msg 3 friends of yours who you believe are NOT Aware about AB5. *Even* if they are not Freelancers.
Here’s what to say:
“Hey have you heard about AB5? It’s a new law in CA that passed Jan 1 that basically makes all 1099 Independent Contractors become W2 Employees, unless their industry got an exemption. This is how it affects me: “Insert a sentence about how AB5 has caused you to lose income.”
The news is barely covering this. We really need to spread awareness about how AB5 is causing freelancers & small business owners to lose their ability to earn an income. I got the most updated information from this group “Freelancers Against AB5” (share link to the group)”
Join a local action group
Local Action Groups
Find information in Facebook Group Freelancers Against AB5
Fellow advocacy site AB5Facts.com
More information will be added as it becomes available. Check back for more.
Share info about your Local Action Group
Tell us about your local action group, so we can add it to the list.
Why is this so important?
Independent Contractors are a legitimate part of local + state economy
Independent contractors provide valuable services + products
Independent contractors thrive on choice, control, and collaboration
AB5 impacts all of us. Now is the time to speak up!